Region Hammered With 18 Plus Inches

February 24, 2011

in News

By Gareth Henderson
Standard Staff
The snow fell furiously on Wednesday as the largest storm of the season pummeled area towns, dropping 12 to 18 inches in the region.
Local highway crews had a long day ahead of them, but on Wednesday morning town officials said all was well out on the roads.
Woodstock Municipal Manager Phil Swanson commented, “The storm’s going swimmingly, all our trucks are running, things are perfect.”
Swanson said the town had been following the storm closely, given all the national coverage as the system swept across the country. Some members of the Woodstock Emergency Services Committee met Tuesday night, followed by a full meeting Wednesday morning. However, as of 10:30 a.m., no major problems had come up.
“The worst is not materializing yet for us,” Swanson said Wednesday morning.
The situation was also calm in Hartland, where Town Manager Bob Stacey said the road crew’s work was going smoothly, though the day had just begun.
“They’ll be tired at the end of today,” Stacey said.
It seems people were happiest on the slopes, as the snowfall started to gather speed. The National Weather Service on Wednesday predicted 2 to 3 inches of snow per hour, through mid-afternoon. The news couldn’t have been better for Suicide Six Ski Area in Pomfret. Ski Area Manager Chuck Vanderstreet said the mountain was looking forward to a very good weekend.
“This is going to set us up great for February vacation week, that’s for sure,” Vanderstreet said.
In Woodstock, Frank Billings of F.H. Gillingham and Sons said nearby merchants appeared to be opening up at their usual hours. But a full day was questionable, given the looming forecast.
“We’ll probably close early, depending on how things go later,” Billings said.
The snow was coming down fast in Killington, where Vito Starinskas and Susan Maples have their plowing business. Vito started out at 7:30 a.m. for another long snow-filled day.
“He’s starting in on his third round,” Maples said. She added that thankfully the snow wasn’t heavy and wet, which would’ve made the rounds far more difficult.

This article first appeared in the February 3rd print edition of the Vermont Standard.


Previous post:

Next post: