Zack Frates Obituary

September 25, 2011

in News,Obituaries,Video,Woodstock

A Memorial Service to celebrate the life of Zachary John Frates, 22, of Woodstock who passed away peacefully in his home Sunday, September 25, 2011, will be held Friday September 30 at 4 p.m. at the Union Arena in Woodstock.
Zachary was born in Hartford, CT., son of Norm and Anne Frates.
Zachary graduated from Woodstock Union High School.
Zack grew up in Woodstock, a wonderful community, who put their arms around him and his outstanding character for 22 years.
There were various jobs that Zack held, from delivering the mail to the town offices, distributing posters throughout the town for Pentangle, and creating beautiful artwork for greeting cards. Zack united a family and community with his passion for life. Zack was an avid painter, boater, skier, chef and entertainer.
For a man of few words he spoke to all with his contagious smile and charismatic personality. For Zack, there was never an obstacle too great or hurdle too daunting. Zack thrived on adventure and his presence lit up every room he entered. While Zack’s life was cut short, his legacy will live on forever.
Zack’s passion to give back to his community led him to be the inspiration for Zack’s Place, a non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of his countless friends.
To know Zack was to love Zack.
Zachary is survived by his father Norm, stepmother Dail and mother Anne Frates; grandparents Norm and Yvonne Frates; his sister Mia; brother Matthew; step-brothers, Tyler and Wylie; and numerous Aunts, Uncles, and cousins that make up the Frates and O’Rourke Family who all originate in Woodstock, Vt. and Old Saybrook, Ct.
He was predeceased by a maternal grandparents Dorothy and Jack O’Rourke.
Donations may be made to Zack’s Place, PO Box 634, Woodstock, VT 05091.

20110927-013300.jpg

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail

{ 72 comments… read them below or add one }

shelah nealon October 4, 2011 at 2:19 pm

zack was someone that i think about all the time, since i had worked with him. he made me smile always and allowed me to feel happy on a cloudy day shelah nealon

kara (june) baker October 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I was Zacks aide many years ago-but in all the years since, I have never ever forgotten Zack, or his wonderful family. My sister and brother in law still live in VT, and when they gave me the sad news, so many memories came flooding back…..as someone previously wrote–to know Zack is to love Zack, and there could not be any more accurate words to describe him. His smile was contagious, and he was so lucky to have the love and supoort of such an amazing family, and community.I know he is in heaven, smiling down at all of us, and looking forward to the great things that will continue to come from Zacks Place…I am so grateful for the moment in time that I got to share with him, and I will cherish those memories forever..he was my lil buddy, and I miss him..my thoughts and prayers go out to his family, and loved ones…RIP Zack-you were an amazing young man, and your legacy will always be with us..

Wendy Buser October 3, 2011 at 6:54 am

Zack is an inspiration to all who knew him. He taught us what true courage and strength are all about. We’ll continue to think of him with joy in our hearts. Wendy and Steve

Tina and Todd Logan October 2, 2011 at 9:37 am

Oh Annie,
We are so sorry and keeping you, Matthew, Mia, and the whole Frates/O’Rourke family close in our hearts. We wish you peace and comfort during this difficult time. Zach was a beautiful young man and has left a legacy of love behind him. xo

Elvera Sopkiw September 30, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Dear Annie and family,
My sincerest sympathy.I will never foget his beautiful smile and loving pesonality.
Much love and prayers,
Elvera

Cristina and Tom Calcagni September 30, 2011 at 9:52 am

We are so sorry and sad for you all. Our hearts go out to you. We will always remember seeing him at Suicide Six, where on a cloudy day, his smile would light up the world.

Shauna & Tanner September 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

Norm, Dail & family -

Tanner and I wish so much that we could be there with you during this time. The night before Zack moved on from us, Tanner said, “Norm and Zack Frates should be here with me…and Bud, too!”. I’m sure Zack would have liked that.

We especially wish we could be there with everyone at the arena today to celebrate his life with everyone. We are with you in heart and spirit.

Love and grace to all of you,
Shauna and Tanner

Sharon Palmer & Sabon Peabody of Reno, NV September 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm

To the Frates and O’Rourke families. With our deepest sympathy. It’s hard to find the right words at a time like this. But we hope that our thoughts and prayers can help to ease your sorrow.

Susie Cook Egan September 29, 2011 at 6:49 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

The Beliveaus September 29, 2011 at 8:57 am

To Norm and the entire Frates Family…

I pray for your strength over the next days, that you can take in the celebration of his life and the beauty he brought us all and to your community. Grief will run it’s course through time; I hope today and tomorrow you can breath in the vitality of Zack’s life and receive the love and support from all those who loved him so deeply.

With you in spirit.

Peace & love

Mark, Jamie, Griffin and Mary Ellen

gretchen Baker September 29, 2011 at 7:15 am

Zach was an inspiration for all of us who knew him. My deepest sympathy to Zach’s entire family. It was so obvious how much he loved all of you. His contagious wonderful smile will never be forgotten . I send prayers to all of you at this difficult time. Take comfort in the fact that all of you gave him a happy and productive life. I know he’s in heaven smiling down on all who knew him and he will never be forgotten.

Zack's Place September 29, 2011 at 6:01 am

Zack,

It’s a rare gift when a student can teach the teacher– more than in a cliche kind-of way. I mean REALLY change a teacher. You were a transformative experience in my life. You, your family, and your friends- are in my thoughts right now. Some of my favorite times at WUHS are when you and I sat to chat. Yup! You are the best.
Love Katie Kardashian.

Susie September 28, 2011 at 11:31 pm

So very sorry for your loss of such a very special young man… I hope his legacy will live on in all of you !!
Hugs Susie

Karen Gartner September 28, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Dear Frates family

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Zack touched so many lives and through his challenges he challenged all of us who were in his circle, both personally and professionally to be and do more. It has been a privilege to know him and all of you.

Cindy Towne September 28, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Zach had a way of lifting the hearts of people that were down just with a smile.The Frates family has been blessed these last 22 years to have such a fantastic young man in there lives, as he was also blessed to have been a part of such a loving family. God bless you all.

Cindy Towne September 28, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Zach had a way of lifting the hearts of people that were down just with a smile. I loved seeing him everyday at the elementary school and after he left for the middle school, while I was doing the crossing at the elementary school, his Mom would come to the crossing and I would wave at Zach and receive that fantastic smile. My day was set. Thank you Zach. God Bless the entire Frates family. Zach couldn’t have picked a more loving family to be a part of.

The Chamberlins September 28, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Our hearts are breaking along with yours. We will always remember Zack for the many gifts he brought to the world. His smile and laugh were a clear demonstration of his amazing outlook on life and his huge capacity for love. He will be so greatly missed. He is in our hearts and prayers, as are all of the Frates family and all who were lucky enough to know and love Zack….. Sheila, Brian, Lisa and Mike

Vickie Brooks September 28, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Dear Frates Family,

Zack changed a community – as did your amazing family. He will be so terribly missed. His love and passion for life is forever woven into the fabric of our amazing community. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
The Brooks Family & Taftsville Country Store

Paige and Nicole Cormier September 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm

To the Frates family. It was an honor for Nicole and I to spend time with you and Zack this summer and to learn about an incredible guy and a wonderful family. Our hearts go out to you and you are each in our prayers and thoughts. Zack’s star is shining brightly in heaven as much as it did here on earth.

Green Machine Hockey Team September 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm

The Green Machine Hockey team sends it sympathies to our teammate Norm Jr. and the entire Frates family for their loss.
Zach’s smile will be forever remembered – may we all smile as much.

Ed and Lynne DiTomas September 28, 2011 at 1:08 pm

The world is a better place because of Zack’s short visit. He showed us how being surrounded by nurturing love and possessing personal determination the seeming impossible can be achieved.

Zack has made all of us wealthier with the gift of having known him.

Ruth Johnston Zaloom September 28, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I feel for you and the whole family….. just know that he is at peace…. his life was cut short only met him a few times but he had a way with him that I will never forget! Just Remember he is with the Almighty!