David Steele Obituary, Former WUHS Teacher

March 14, 2012

in News,Obituaries,Woodstock

CLAREMONT, NH – An informal gathering to celebrate the life and share memories of David H. Steele, 72, who died peacefully at his home surrounded by family on Friday, March 9th 2012 will be held at the Woodstock Union High School Library on Saturday, March 24th from 2-4 p.m. in the afternoon.
David was born on September 12th, 1939 in Boston, Massachusetts. He grew up in the Burlington, Vermont, area with his brother Don and attended the University of Vermont. David held a BA from UVM and an MA from Dartmouth.
He married Linda Kelly Steele of Essex Junction, Vermont, on June 19th 1965.
David served in the Army for three years in Panama. Following his military service, David was a 7th grade English teacher at Woodstock Union Middle School for 38 years, retiring in 2003. David was a dedicated teacher who shared his love of books and reading with his English classes. He enjoyed collaborating with both students and coworkers, and strived to provide each student with the opportunity to grow and excel.
In addition to his teaching career, he and Linda owned and operated “The Looking Glass” children’s shop in Woodstock, VT, for 14 years. David also enjoyed time with his family (especially the annual “Steelefest” gatherings), as well as reading, building and flying model airplanes, and traveling around New England buying and selling antiques with Linda.
David leaves his brother Don, his wife Linda, their five children (Jennifer of Chicago, IL; David Andrew of Woodstock, VT; Susan of Louisville, CO; Michael of Bristol, VT; and Timothy of Bristol, VT) and nine grandchildren.
In lieu of flowers, contributions can be sent to the Woodstock Middle School 7th Grade Class in memory of David Steele, Woodstock VT 05091.
To view this obituary online and leave condolences go to www.thevermontstandard.com

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Kate (Tardiff) Hutchins March 28, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Mr.Steele will always hold a special place in my child hood memories and in my heart. Big hugs out to all the family and take solace in knowing he was a great man who left a legacy that will live on to inspire many.

Kristl March 27, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Dear Steele clan,
Our thoughts and love go out to the whole family. We both remember Dave as an avid outdoorsman (Timberlock Voyager leader) and all -around fun and warm person. I have fond memories of gatherings at either Steele’s or Catlin’s (or both) during the winter. Our thoughts are with you all, and we hope you keep the good memories strong in your hearts.
Love,
Kristl and Peter Spalding

Rick & Marilyn Dickinson March 19, 2012 at 4:31 pm

We mourn the loss of a wonderful man who, although we did not have the pleasure of knowing very well, surely imprinted his children deeply on all Dickinsons, young and small. Definitely a testament to Dave’s love of life and family. Thoughts and prayers are winging to you all.

Love,
Rick, Marilyn, Kelly, Tyler, Kaylei and Cam

Peter and Loretta Land March 18, 2012 at 11:29 am

Linda

We learned of Dave’s death this morning in the Valley News. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Peter and Loretta Land

Harvey & Sam Bumps March 18, 2012 at 10:35 am

Dear Linda and Family,
We have many fond memories of the Steele family when they lived in the Happy Valley neighborhood and Dave as a wonderful teacher of our girls. Our sympathy and love to you all.
Harv & Sam

Joe Stevens and Family March 17, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Our Condolences to the Steele Family. I remember spending time at the Steele household as a child in Taftsville. I always enjoyed Mr. Steeles classes. It seems like yesterday that we would start our sliding run in the road besides the Steele’s house in Taftsville and end up at the store! I remember some hot chocolate being served sometimes!

Our thoughts and Prayers are with family during this time.

The Stevens Family

Sydney White March 17, 2012 at 7:37 am

My deepest sympathy goes to the entire Steele family. I had the pleasure of calling David a colleague while I was teaching at WES. He always had a smile on his face during those wonderful inservice meetings and school year welcoming gatherings. I also was lucky enough to teach some of David’s and Linda’s children. Linda, my thoughts are with you and the children. What happy memories you all will have.

Mandy Kinne March 15, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Steele family –

I am so sorry for your loss. It was in Mr. Steele’s class that I finally understood how to write a good book report, which turned out to be pretty fun – I am and always will be a writer of some kind in part because of that. I was lucky to be in Susie’s class and knew Mr. Steele a bit outside of the classroom. Because of wacky circumstances, I was co-caretaker at the Braeside Motel the spring of my junior year and needed a ride to school; Susie and Mr. Steele picked me up every morning for the last 2 months of school. It was maybe a small thing, but I knew that two people still cared. I wish I had taken the time to thank Mr. Steele, this will inadequately have to do.

Mandy

Jim and Lea Kachadorian and March 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Dear Steele Family,

We remember David for his sense of humor in dealing with all sorts of wild and wooly kids! He always encouraged creativity, and, still insisted on good judgment! What a fine man to have taught our boys! What a fine memory he has left! We send sympathy and love,

Jim and Lea

Sean Wieland March 15, 2012 at 6:59 pm

My deepest condolences to the Steele family. I think of Mr. Steele often, every time I think of a John Steinbeck book, or White Fang. He was the first person to introduce me to many books that I still love to this day. I remember his classroom across the hall from the boys bathroom, where he would always catch the “older” kids smoking. His influence on me (and doubtless countless others) made a lasting impression, and I will always be thankful.

Wanda Stetson March 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Dear Linda and Family,
Working with Dave, my mentor teacher, for 25 years at Woodstock Union Middle School was an honor. His wisdom, love of learning, and respect for his students and colleagues helped to guide me as a young teacher. Jenny, Dave, Susie, Mike, and Tim know that he was so proud of you as well as all of the hundreds of kids whose lives he touched.
With Love,
Wanda

Keith Porter March 14, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Dear Steele Family,
Your warm and loving family is in my thoughts during this difficult time. David, had an amazing way of welcoming his children’s friends into his life. I cherish the memories I have of him especially at Christmas time reunions.

With Great Respect and Love,