A fully involved fire destroyed a large sugarhouse operation in Pomfret on Thursday afternoon.
Neighbors and family watched as the sugarhouse of Duane Harrington went up in flames around noon. Barnard, Sharon, Woodstock, Teago, Broad Brook, Hartford and Pomfret fire stations responded, but couldn’t stop the blaze from consuming the building and the equipment inside.
Pomfret Fire Chief Kevin Rice believes the cause was a small heater that kept the reverse osmosis machine from freezing.
Look for more in the Jan. 23 edition of the Standard.(Katy Savage Photos)