A fully involved fire destroyed a large sugar house operation in Pomfret on Thursday afternoon.
Neighbors and family watched as the sugar house of Duane Harrington went up in flames around noon. Barnard, Sharon, Woodstock, Teago, Broad Brook, Hartford and Pomfret fire stations responded, but couldn’t stop the blaze from consuming the building and the equipment inside.
Pomfret Fire Chief Kevin Rice believes the cause was a small heater that kept the reverse osmosis machine from freezing.
Katy Savage Photos
A portion of these photos first appeared in the January 23, 2014 print edition of the Vermont Standard.